The Rehfisch family business began in 1864, originally trading as Rehfisch Brothers, and dealing with dry goods and clothing. Heinrich Rehfisch, with his sons Morris and Herman, started the business in Melbourne before relocating to several towns and eventually settling in Ballarat as leather merchants. The store supplied items such as boots, sheepskins and hides.
From about the 1920s, the business shifted focus to firearms and fishing tackle. Today, it is one of the oldest firearms businesses still in the hands of the establishing family.
Herman’s son, Harrie King Rehfisch, ran the business before it then passed down to Ronald Mitchell Rehfisch (26/7/1930 – 4/8/2006). Ron was introduced initially through part-time work whilst a student, then officially entered the business after leaving college.
Ron’s brother, Harrie Hall Rehfisch, also worked in the business.
In 1996, after 48 years of service, Ron retired and handed over control to his son, Guy Rehfisch. Ron continued to serve the business for another 10 years.
Guy is the 5th generation to be involved with the family business. And is a very keen fisherman and shooter. Going to New Zealand and South America for shoots. Guy participates in the National Cod Classic, and is known to travelling great distances to catch a big one..
In October 2015, H.Rehfisch & Co. P/L relocated the business after 115 years at 223 Mair Street, Ballarat to 903 Latrobe Street, Ballarat. A purpose built building of 400 m2 retail shop with free parking and a in-store cafe called the Red Boot Cafe.